[Peer Group] Leadership

Hey everyone!

I’m back with a fresh set of Peer Group takeaways :slight_smile:

If you haven’t been on a Peer Group yet, they are our weekly calls where organizers from around the world hop on a call to ask each other questions and learn from other organizers. RSVP here!

I always learn so new tips and tricks from organizers on these calls and want to share some with you.

Here are the takeaways from our Leadership session that took place this past Tuesday:

• As a team lead, it’s important to take care of yourself and set an example for the rest of your team to do the same! Make sure to put school work and personal well-being before hackathon planning. Remind your team that while your hackathon is important, it shouldn’t be their top priority.
  • Keep track of how your team is doing by sharing highs and lows of the week. This will help bond your team as y’all learn more about each other, and also give you a pulse of how your team is doing.
  • Help your organizers get to know each other! This can be as simple as inviting your team to go to an on-campus event with you, hosting a game night, or grabbing dinner together after a meeting.
  • Avoid micro-managing your team by allowing team members to own specific tasks. Followup as needed.

@lisa @annaearroyo @petersmurphy7 what was your biggest takeaway?

1 Like

Hey ya’ll - thanks for taking the time to jump on the call for the peer group discussion. It’s great to be able to hear other perspectives on the same challenges we face as organizers. My biggest takeaway that I’d like to help enact within my own organizer team are the middle two that @mary mentioned: keeping track of the team, and building relationships between committees.

As it stands I think my team operates almost strictly on the “professional” level - but I’d like everyone to be more open, friendly, and genuine which will only happen if myself and the other committee leads implement some of the practices discussed during the talk like going over highs and lows of the week (not necessarily w.r.t. to hackathon stuff), making sure everyone understands prioritization of self > school > hackathon, and only meeting when necessary to demonstrate that we recognize the rest of the org team’s time is valuable.