Meet an Organizer: Sophia of TAMUhack!

Hey all!

We’re back with our Meet an Organizer blog posts! This week, we have Sophia from TAMUhack! Check out her full blog post!

Sophia Lee, director of TAMUhack

What’re your top 3 pieces of advice that you’d give to new organizers?

1. Speak up. Let your voice be heard! I’m naturally very shy, so it takes a lot of courage for me to speak up, especially in the presence of those more experienced than me. You may have good ideas or questions that no one else has thought of! And don’t let rejection discourage you from contributing to the discussion, because there are infinite opportunities for your ideas to become realized!

2. Respect everyone’s opinion. This goes without being said and in fact is just general life advice, but I state this specifically because as a hackathon organizer, we always want what’s best for the team, event, and community. People may have multiple ways to approach bettering all this, but it’s with good intentions nonetheless! Rather than jumping to challenge someone’s new idea or proposition, try to understand where they are coming from. Civil debate can then stem, but remember that everyone is there for the same reason you are!

3. Interact with the community. Whether it be online, in-person, at workshops, or at hackathons, make an effort to engage with your audience. They are students just like you, passionate hackers just like you, and world changers just like you. Without them, there is no community. There’s a lot you can learn from their feedback alone!

Want to read more? Check out her full blog post!

3 Likes