Hey y’all! For some reason, I love thinking about this . Whenever there’s a huge jackpot bubbling, my friends and I will fantasize and discuss how we’d spend the money even though I rarely (if ever) play the lottery. It’s mostly just for fun, but I think it actually says a lot about someone’s values and how their brain works.
So let’s say you won a modest $50 million (edit: after taxes). How would you spend it?
Here’s what I would do:
- Be debt free, woo!
- Give $2MM to some family/bff ($8MM)
- Buy a gorgeous apartment in the West Village (NYC) with a backyard for Teddy (my dog). ($5-10MM?)
- Get a financial advisor to tell me how to invest/grow $10MM, because I have no idea.
- Donate $15MM to 4-5 non-profits that are a) combating climate change and b) finding cures for antibiotic/antifungal-resistant microbes.
- Live off the remaining $5MM: Travel with friends, eat at (some of) the World’s 50 Best restaurants. Go back to school. Get a PhD in rhetoric/composition.
Sighh… ok, your turn!